Granville County was founded in 1746 from what was a portion of Edgecombe County. The county covers an area of 537 square miles with only 5 square miles being water. The county was named after John Carteret who was the 2nd Earl Granville. John was an heir to one of the eight original Lords Proprietors of the Province of Carolina.
The original province was so vast that beginning in 1752 portions began to be divided to form other counties, the final division took place in 1881 when portions of Granville County were taken to form Franklin and Warren Counties.
The county seat of Granville County is Oxford. Located within the nine townships of Granville County are the cities and towns of Butner, Creedmoor, Lewis, Oxford, Stem and Stovall.