Bertie County was founded in 1722 and was originally part of Albemarle County that lay West of the Chowan River. The county was named in honor of James Bertie and his brother Henry Bertie as both were one of the Lords Proprietors of Carolina. In 1729 a portion of Bertie County was taken to form the Tyrrell Precinct and later in 1741 further portions were taken to form Edgecombe County and Northampton County. Finally in 1759 the last size reduction was made to form Hertford County, leaving Bertie County the size it is today, which covers an area of 741 square miles. The county seat of Bertie County, North Carolina is Windsor.
The residents of Bertie County are very meticulous about the pronouncing of the county name. The actual pronunciation being BURT-TEE, making the “t” very prominent. When the county is pronounced wrongly, it is easy to tell who are natives or residents and who are the visitors to not only Bertie County, but to North Carolina.
Bertie County is divided into 9 townships, which mean that the county is divided into small parcels, usually covering an area of 6 – 54 square miles with the average being 36 square miles. These townships are Colerain, Indian Woods, Merry Hill, Mitchells, Roxobel, Snake Bite, Whites, Windsor and Woodville.
There are a total of 8 cities or towns located in Bertie County, which include Askewville, Aulander, Colerain, Kelford, Powellsville, Merry Hill, Roxobel and Windsor.